[lbo-talk] far right deepens understanding of Maoist Van Jones

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 08:56:27 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Bhaskar Sunkara<bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com> wrote:
> >From the late 1990s on Van Jones began to argue for an "green capitalism".
> I think he statements have been worded along the lines of "we were
> idealistic and unrealistic", and not completely
> renouncing of his prior convictions, but I could be wrong.

This article appeared on Alternet yesterday, Defends his former radical past as youthful naivety.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/142310/glenn_beck's_crazy_lies_about_van_jones/

After smearing White House special advisor Van Jones for days on his show, Glenn Beck said on August 27, 2009: "I want to point out the silence; no one has challenged these facts -- they just attack me personally."

Well, the White House is wise to stay above the fray but someone has to set the record straight. And as the person who first hired Van Jones, initially as a legal intern and later as a legal fellow, I am in a unique position to know the truth.

And the truth is: Beck is fabricating his facts.

For instance: several times on his show, Beck has said or implied that Van went to prison for taking part in the Rodney King riots.

No Criminal Convictions

Van has never served time in any prison. He has never been convicted of any crime. And just to be clear: Van was not even in Los Angeles during those tumultuous days.

I know because he was working for me -- in San Francisco -- when the four Los Angeles police officers were acquitted in the beating of Rodney King. I was the Executive Director of the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area when Van was an intern.

The verdicts came down on April 29, 1992. I remember Van (who was then a legal intern working with me from Yale Law School) coming into my office in San Francisco. Many of us, including Van, sat there together, listening to the news and weeping. We were all in a state of shock. That night, TV showed the tragic images of LA burning.

Continues at link.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/142310/glenn_beck's_crazy_lies_about_van_jones/