[lbo-talk] class and classical music

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:00:02 PDT 2009

If I had to come up with a just-so story about the origins of music, it would probably be something like this: because it leaves few words that can be substituted in other than the original ones, putting statements in meter and rhyme makes them easier to remember. So proto-humans subject Important Statements That Should Be Remembered to poetic discipline. This means that meter, rhyme, a regular tonal rhythm begin to function as a signal of the importance of statements, making it adaptive to recognize these things. Peacock's tail-type mechanisms take everything from there. This is about as scientific as any other explanation of its type, I suppose.