[lbo-talk] Baby thoughts

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:00:05 PDT 2009

Hey, for once I agree with the DOSSmeister (although I still refuse to top-post!). Science is a relatively recent human invention; people and animals they been figuring out how their bodies work and how the world works for a long, long time. Perhaps turn the referent of the simile around: a scientist is like--a little drooling baby?

Miles

^^^^^^^ CB: Agree with Miles and Chris. The idea of an individual baby discovering the world as like the activity of science is basically the error in the positivist model of the scientific process. It's Russell's error in trying to base math on an individual "logicizing".

Science is a very essentially social process. As Newton said, he stood on the shoulders of giants. He wasn't an isolated midget with a big single brain.