[lbo-talk] Baby thoughts

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 11:46:03 PDT 2009

Chris: Have you ever done bench science? I have. While doing it for about three years what I learned is

- that scientific (funding and intellectual) trajectories are anything

but systematic, progressive or data driven,

- that hypothesis generation and testing - even when not largely

determined by funding or new-technological opportunities - are wildly

contingent on who the researcher is,

- that research methods - while more formal than much of the rest of the

process - are always selected from across a range of options where the means

selected have as much to do with personal preferences and the vagaries of

research programs as with anything else,

- that the actual practice of scientific research/data gathering is at

least as much a craft practice tied to very specific boundary maintenance

practices as it is a systematic activity,

- that data analysis seeks statistically meaningful results more than

anything else, even if those results end up generating a rewriting of the

intent of the work - the hypotheses being tests - when preparing manuscripts

for publication.

All of this stuff, and more, is borne out in the ethnographic, sociological and philosophical literature - from Imre Lakatos to Latour and Woolgar and from Robert Young to Susan Leigh Star - in science studies.

Big/Basic Science exists as a mythological product and high school and college science labs are more legitimatory spectacle than recapitulations of classical scientific practice.

My kids played/learned/explored not at all like our cats did as kittens or as our dog did as a puppy.

Alan