[lbo-talk] Baby thoughts

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Sep 1 17:54:54 PDT 2009

At 10:37 PM 8/31/2009, Alan Rudy wrote:
> > Science is a relatively recent human invention; people and animals they
> > been figuring out how their bodies work and how the world works for a long,
> > long time. Perhaps turn the referent of the simile around: a scientist is
> > like--a little drooling baby?
> >

>I know lotsa scientists... and I like this. Big, riefied, anally
>inductivist science is a relatively new human invention... not science as
>babies do it, careful, systematic, multimethodological and relational praxis
>- and, nodding to Merton (against my will), babies are surprisingly
>transparent and communalist (and they laugh more than most big-S
>scientists.)
>
>homo faber = homo sciencicus?

baby: i cry when it's dark, the light turns on. therefore, crying makes the light turn on."

baby: oh dear. when parental unit bends over to to pick up my spoon from the floor, i can no longer see her face. therefore, parental unit has ceased to exist. when i cry, parental unit exists again. crying causes parental unit to exist.

as a mentor of mine used to say, "fish swim in the ocean, but they aren't oceanographers."