[lbo-talk] Baby thoughts

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 09:37:20 PDT 2009

But this is true of everything! You could say the same about geometrical objects; because there are no actual objects that correspond to the precise definition of a circle, then the concept of circle is meaningless and there is no difference between circles and polygons and squares.

The word "science," of which Chuck gave common definitions, implies -- nay, means -- systematic knowledge. Of course pure comprehensive systematic knowledge is impossible, and I suppose if you tried really really hard you could find something you could, with some willfullness, interpret as systematic in a baby's or antelope's cognition, but the concepts are still quite different.

Also, even though I keep needling Charles over his symboling obsession, I think this is one place where you probably do need language. Which babies do not possess.