[lbo-talk] Baby thoughts

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 14:07:15 PDT 2009

Chuck Grimes

I don't disagree about imitation. I just think imitation is secondary in the particular case of learning to walk. For example blind kids learn to walk, except they bump into things and have a lot of trouble orienting themselves and locating things like doorways to other rooms, etc.

^^^^^ CB: Good point. I was just going to say that babes are watching you more than you think (smile).

Lets see. First, there _is_ probably teaching involved. Somebody says "ok standup", while putting their hands on the blind child and helping them up. The imitation is not of what is seen, of course, but thtrough a process of putting the child's hand on someone else's legs, then putting the hands on the child's legs, so as to allow identification of the child's body parts with the person to be imitated's body parts. etc., etc.

Critical in sighted children's imitation and learning process is also the identification of the imitator's self and body with the self and body of the imitatee, je pense.

Whaddaya think ?

^^^^^^

It is after this learning to walk phase that assisted social development becomes necessary with preschoolers working with orientation and mobility teachers and other children... In a less technical society, my guess would be, sighted children would just take up the role of guide, etc.

Meanwhile in learning to talk, I agree whole heartedly imitation becomes critical. So, yes. In addition, I think the best source of imitation are not adults, but other children. Something like, the best teachers are not that far away from their students.

^^^^^ CB: Yes. Do you mean _older_ children as the models ?

^^^^

Anyway, there is a curious thing that I don't understand. Babies seem to try to learn to walk first on their toes, standing tip toe style. What's with that? Is it connected in some way to the Babenski reflex? There is something strange going on. It's like babies want to learn to walk on their toes, but they have to settle for the lesser art of walking with their flat feet on the floor.

Some kids continue until much, much older with this toe style walking around like they want to fly. It is a really interesting and curious behavior.

^^^^^^^ CB: See. Joanna's correct about the fundamentalness of dance. Babies go straight to on point (smile).

CG

^^^^ My man Chuck-a-luck !