[lbo-talk] ciao, public option

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Sep 2 18:05:16 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> This makes no sense to me. If the whole health care reform itself is
>> bad, then PO won't make it good. We should be against the whole thing
>> period.
>
> I said "symbolic." Of course it sucks on the substance. But they're not
> even pretending to be anything but scumbags now.

I see now. So for you, it all sucks, Obamacare is literally worse than nothing, and PO is just the symbolic cherry on top. Adding insult to injury as it were.

I think you're wrong about "they're not even pretending" though. For 98% of the country, health care reform itself is a huge gesture towards decency. Virtually nobody in this country sees it as a huge giveaway to business. FBOW, the Dems, the Repugs and the country as large all see it as huge government intervention on the side of the weak. So they are very much pretending to be on the side of virtue.

Michael