[lbo-talk] baby thoughts

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 3 04:57:44 PDT 2009

It was the global warming question that led Bruno Latour to doubt his own insistence that science was a social construct

"I myself have spent some time in the past trying to show "the lack of scientific certainty" inherent in the construction of facts. I too made it a "primary issue." But I did not exactly aim at fooling the public by obscuring the certainty of a closed argument-or did I? ... dangerous extremists are using the very same argument of social construction to destroy hard-won evidence that could save our lives. Was I wrong to participate in the invention of this field known as science studies? Is it enough to say that we did not really mean what we said? Why does it burn my tongue to say that global warming is a fact whether you like it or not?"

http://www.bruno-latour.fr/articles/article/089.html