[lbo-talk] Baby thoughts

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 10:50:45 PDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Reduction of the world to our knowledge of it, or to the extent to which in
> principle it supposedly could become known, to "the world as knowable," is
> in fact the form of idealism that curiously lies coiled, unware of itself,
> at the heart of materialism.

This is the classic overwrought anti-constructionist position. I didn't "reduce" the world to our knowledge of it at all. I simply don't have any use for the metaphysical, supernatural, foundational (you choose) supposition that there is a real world behind the material one since I don't see that I gain anything from it and that I lose by ending up in a Platonist world as a result. I don't know a great deal about the material world I experience but I don't need to assume that there is more genuinely, authentically, just true, essentially more real stuff out there to know that the stuff I know, and don't know, about is and is going to be material semiotic in character.