[lbo-talk] For LBO's music theory crowd

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Sep 3 15:20:05 PDT 2009

Chuck Grimes wrote:
> Okay, for Miles, Shane, Michael Smith and other skeptics, I located the
> original article that Kenneally cites in the brief description I
> gave---which seems to have created some apparently universal assurances
> that this idea was all hogwash. Here is the article:
>
> http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/23/18/7160

I read it. Two comments:

1. The premise that the 12-tone system is universal is just empirically wrong. An amazing variety of tone systems are used in different societies at different times. Just to focus on Western European music for a moment: intervals that were considered dissonant in the 1600s were considered consonant and musical in the 1800s, because composers used the new intervals more and people got used to hearing them.

2. The fact that we see big "bumps" in the frequency spectrum at specific frequency ratios is a necessary consequence of the acoustics of the human vocal apparatus. Any sound-making "tube" will generate overtones, at the fifth and the octave in particular. This only shows that the human voice must abide by the laws of acoustics, just as any sound-making apparatus does. (In methodological terms, a correlation between the frequency spectrum of the human voice and the frequency spectrum of a musical scale does not provide us with evidence that the former is the cause of the latter.)

Miles