[lbo-talk] Materialism is a form of idealism

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:42:23 PDT 2009

Chris Doss: This is not evidence that ideas are not matter. -clip-

^^^^

CB: I implied that it's evidence that ideas _are_ matter. I said:

"Ideas are material." and " Anyway, ideas are matter. So, the idea "matter" _is_ matter."

CB: That's not :persuasive to me. You'll have to elaborate. Ideas are material. They are electric impulses in the brain. I just saw a 60 minutes show wherein the latest brain physiology allows paralyzed people to control artificial limbs with hitech stuff. In other words, they have decoded the brain waves or ideas, like "left" or "right", "up" ,"down" such that they can use them to do exactly what they mean (!). No more mind/body problem in philo 101. Anyway, ideas are matter. So, the idea "matter" _is_ matter. It can't be _reduced_ to matter, it's matter and more. A la Aristotle, all ideas are matter , but not all matter is ideas. Sort of like humans are animals and more. Anyway turns out that some matter has a dimension that can be termed "message". Does that help ?