[lbo-talk] Welcome to the library. Say goodbye to the books.(The Boston Globe)

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Sep 5 15:13:41 PDT 2009

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 16:42:38 -0400 "Chip Berlet" <c.berlet at publiceye.org> writes:
> Hi,
>
> Popular myth. There are technology companies that specialize in
> maintaining older machines that can read any previous electronic
> technology. Of course they charge an arm and a leg.

I think that gets at one of the issues here which is that access to old data is only going to be maintained for those kinds which tech companies think they will be able to make a buck off of. Those varieties of data that they do not think they make money by preserving access may well be lost to posterity forever.

A well preserverd book that was printed five hundred years ago, can still be read today. It is doubtful that much of the electronic data that we have today will still be accessible fifty years from now.

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/historical-materialism/7346550

____________________________________________________________ Click for a wide selection of quality scales. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTFnwjFimLVS1uJRpmzrr9uVrtCpC7kQs4PEQL0w7Bt1yuT6Rp3J6Y/