[lbo-talk] ciao, Van Jones

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 6 08:40:58 PDT 2009

"Jones flatly said in an earlier statement that he did not agree with the petition's stand on the 9/11 attacks and that ''it certainly does not reflect my views, now or ever...''

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/09/06/us/AP-US-Obama-Adviser-Resigns.html

I suppose it is possible that someone else 'signed' his name onto the 9-11

Truth statement, but he has had several years to protest the false

representation - if that were the case - and did not do so - he also is not not saying now that he had no knowledge of the statement - just that it does not/has never

reprensent(ed) his views - which begs the question - why did he sign

or or if he didn't why didn't he ever protest it. Other than that statement, he is certainly not know as a '9-11 agitator' and even if he signed it, probably never gave the issue a second thought. Since he moves in progressive circles, a friend probably asked him to sign on and he probably said 'Sure, whatever, it's all good' and continued onto more pressing matters. Given that the Obama administration is prosecuting the war in Afghanistan on the basis that

it "[I]s not a war of choice. This is a war of necessity. Those who

attacked America on 9/11 are plotting to do so again...." etc - you would think

that this is something he or anyone else in a similar position would

want to proactively clarify before it became an issue. It is also hard

to fathom how a background search by the White House staff would not

have raised this and other 'unpalatable-to-the-establishment'

statements. Indeed, there are many incendiary direct quotes from

making the rounds on right-wing blogs which he cannot dismiss as 'not

reflecting his views, now or ever'. Jones is certainly not the only

young, talented, idealistic person with a 'radical' past who joined or

supported the Obama administration on the [naive] belief that Obama

would actually provide a platform for the implementation of real

progressive policies. Given the increasingly conservative trajectory

of the Obama administration, such people within and outside the

administration must be finding it increasingly difficult to reconcile

the contradictions, and this episode with Jones sharply highlights

their predicament. In a perfect world, the Democrats, who control the

White House and Congress would defend Jones' freedom of speech and

express support for or tolerance of heterodox views within their

administration and the Democratic party itself - after all, isn't

Obama ostensibly reaching out to the Republicans based on a 'we can

all get along' spirit? But the reality of course is different, which

is why Jones' knew not to expect any support from within the

administration. Jones' aside, this incident does not augur well in

terms of what to expect from the Obama administration. To be fair,

there was an element of bad timing here since the White House was busy

trying to get bi-partisan assistance for health care reform, so it was

not a good time for Republicans and conservative Democrats to be

reminded that Jones had referred to the Republicans as 'a__holes'. I

do think that Jones remark, even taken in context (see below) was

ill-conceived. He was asked, essentially, "Why is it that when the

Republicans had a majority they were able to push through their

polices, now when the Democrats have a majority, they are unable to

push through their polices?" Jones: "Because the Republicans are

assholes". Huh?? First of all, this is how one might respond in a

small gathering, but you would think a public policy figure might have

articulated this view in more measured language. I mean it is true

that the Republicans are what they are, but isn't the real answer

because the Democrats are weak willed and don't have the guts to fight

the Republicans and besides they are all in the pocket of the same

lobbyists and Wall Street financiers'. Anyway, this whole thing is

reminiscent of the Lani Guinier episode during the Clinton

administration, not to mention the more recent Jeremiah Wright affair

and will probably have a chilling effect on any

self-styled progressives working within the Obama administration.

http://www.pollsb.com/polls/p2141284-obama_aid_van_jones_resigns_calling_republicans_assholes

Joe w.