[lbo-talk] Right wing to unions: give in

Aaron Stark aaronsta at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 09:25:30 PDT 2009

Unfortunately I think it's more than just the right wing that is swallowing these arguments now. The anti-union propaganda that the right pushed especially hard last fall is bearing fruit among across the spectrum, e.g. this poll from Gallup yesterday, "Labor Unions See Sharp Slide in U.S. Public Support" http://www.gallup.com/poll/122744/Labor-Unions-Sharp-Slide-Public-Support.aspx . Of course, I would like to see this broken down by state, county, age group, etc, but it seems like there is some rise in anti-union, pro-austerity feeling that the left needs to deal with, in order to maintain some level of support for basic social democratic positions.

In my cohort, middle-to-upper-middle-income IT people at a public university in Southeast Michigan, I see a lot of the same attitudes towards unions as in the Detroit News editorial and in the poll above: (paraphrasing) "maybe unions were good for people once, but now they're too expensive, and they're holding the state back". I share the analysis that Alan gives below on the actual situation that the paper does not address. I wonder, what successful arguments have people employed against pro-austerity, anti-union arguments like these? I am not talking about trying to convince the editorial writers of the Detroit News necessarily, but (say) their readers-- middle-income Southeast Michigan residents who by virtue of their class position probably should be in a union, but are not, either due to their ideology or due to organizing failures? A vague question, I know, but if anyone has any book or website pointers, I would be happy to see them.

-Aaron

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 22:18:13 -0400 Alan Rudy wrote http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20090907/012472.html

original message: Mon Sep 7 11:45:46 HST 2009 Right wing to unions: give in (c.b.) http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20090907/012467.html