[lbo-talk] The Straight Dope: Dowsing and the ideomotor response

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Sep 11 05:39:51 PDT 2009

While we're on the subject of mass delusions, the ideomoter response described here:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/159/does-dowsing-for-water-really-work

is extremely cool. I always promised myself I'd read more about it but never did. It seems to explains a lot. Essentially it seems to bear the same relation to the widespread spiritualist scams of the 19th and early 20th century that the elementary "card force" bears to elaborate card tricks: the one key thing that everything else is built around.

Michael