[lbo-talk] The Straight Dope: Dowsing and the ideomotor response

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Sep 11 15:39:40 PDT 2009

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009, W. Kiernan wrote:

> What it doesn't explain is how I have repeatedly found buried water
> lines with a couple bent pieces of wire where there was no visible clue
> above the ground.

Actually it does: (a) your odds of hitting buried water are between 75% and 100% no matter where you drill; and (b) if you do this a lot, you might well have developed a sense for correlations you aren't consciously registering.

But I've never done it, and you have, so if you have reasons to think he's wrong about those odds, I'm all ears.

Michael