[lbo-talk] The Straight Dope: Dowsing and the ideomotor response

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 23:37:55 PDT 2009

micheal was imprecise, providing the opportunity for unnecessary confusion (esp if you haven't read the article ;-). adams notes that "The success rate for diviners is about the same as that for people who use the hit-and-miss method when looking for water," and, later, "I lived in Tucson for a spell and they had gotten well-digging down to such a science that the success rate approached 100 percent.Even over complex hydrological formations, the success rate by the hit-and-miss method is often as high as 75 percent."

so it's not that you don't have to look. just that basic techniques having nothing to do with rods and everything to do with plant life, topography, and so on, are at least as effective as dowsing, and probably in fact contribute (unconsciously) to the successes of dowsers.

the worst part is at the end, though:

"If you want more information on this ridiculous art, most libraries have lots of books on the subject--right next to the section on tarot cards."

o noes! he disseded teh tarotz!