[lbo-talk] Conservatism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 13 20:34:12 PDT 2009

Honderich's book is wonderful. I'm glad people, some that is, still read it. Used to be that Brit conservativism was a bit of a different thing than ours. Roget Scruton, an extringuished Britcon, wrote somewhere that Consdervatism is about authority, not liberty. Course recent decades have changed things. Thatcher Amerericanized Briot conservatism. Bush II got rid if the liberty dimension of the American sort. And the core ideas that

- some people are more fit to rule in virtue of their money and/or ancestry - markets should be left unfettered, except when government favoritism, handouts, and bailouts help the rich - the sexual activities that everybody, including conservatives, practice ought to be prohibited or penalized if they differ from religious/50s TV norms - most people ought to live lives of quiet desperation, and if they get loud the government should squash them - it's a bad thing for the government to act to establish justice and promote the general welfare* - war is the health of the state* - other countries`exist to provide us with cheap labor and raw materials, and a steady supply of illegal immigtant labor that we can demonize and brutalize

Which are the core ideas of conservatism, are, well, pathological.

No, actually I take that back. That is an insult to disease. Disease is a brutal, if regrettable, phenomenon, morally neutral at its worst

These ideas are just wicked.

* Extra credit for identifying the source of these statements.