[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 14 09:20:23 PDT 2009

Andy274 "I went through Union Station early yesterday evening and the first thing that struck about the crowd there was how the population of morbidly obese in DC had suddenly shot up"

Miles thought that opposition to health care was 'an economic version of Stockholm Syndrome'

Elsewhere I read a columnist refer to the opponents of healthcare reform as 'mouthbreathers'.

I can't help but thinking that one reason that the U.S. left has not made many inroads in the masses is that it cannot hold its deepseated contempt for working class people in check.

All the best liberal rhetoric over health care has been catty comments against the critics of healthcare, but I don't hear a lot of argument for equality. Maybe it just does not get reported over here on the other side of the Atlantic.