[lbo-talk] Conservatism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 14 11:44:19 PDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 2:30 PM, farmelantj at juno.com wrote:

> There was among other things the
> obvious thing that a full throated defense
> of free market capitalism is incompatible
> with the defense of traditionalism, since
> capitalism itself is the greatest force
> for undermining and destroying time hallowed
> traditions as Marx noted long ago.

Of course you could deny that the market destroyed tradition and say instead that you need the moral inheritance of religion to act as a check on market passions. Or you could argue, as do many of our fundies, that the market is a wonderful mechanism of reward and punishment to keep us fallen humans in line, with worldly success as a kind of visible measure of virtue.