[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:54:22 PDT 2009

wrobert at uci.edu wrote:
> I think the thing that gets lost in the conversation is
> actually how small these demonstrations were (from the beginning) given
> the kind of financial power and media access the organizers had to put
> them together. This is not to say that they weren't successful in
> creating a spectacle, but it certainly isn't a movement.

Sure it's a movement. How do you think they got that kind of media access and financial power? By creating a strong conservative movement. You can bring the Fox to cable but you can't make people watch it. If a left-wing Fox News materialized - especially one as far left as Fox is far right - no one would watch it. Compare Olbermann/Maddow's ratings to O'Reilly's. Compare Rush Limbaugh's ratings to whoever the top left talk radio star is. Forty years ago, believe it or not, the right wing was *for* the Fairness Doctrine, because they said it was the only thing preventing total liberal domination of the airwaves.

SA