[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 15 08:13:27 PDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 10:54 PM, SA wrote:

> Sure it's a movement. How do you think they got that kind of media
> access and financial power? By creating a strong conservative
> movement. You can bring the Fox to cable but you can't make people
> watch it. If a left-wing Fox News materialized - especially one as
> far left as Fox is far right - no one would watch it. Compare
> Olbermann/Maddow's ratings to O'Reilly's.

But O'Reilly is much more fun to watch than Maddow and esp Olbermann. The great tragedy of the Fox schedule is that when we're finally ready to catch some political TV at 10, Fox has the execrable Greta on, and not O'R. He's very good at what he does - which is noxious, yes, but entertaining. The MSNBC folks are dull by comparison. We watched Obama's speech last week on Fox because I wanted to hear what Brit Hume & Co. had to say about it. They're more passionate and serious about politics. This may be a fault of liberalism vs. conservatism - there's no passion to liberalism, and often a fear of conflict.

Doug