[lbo-talk] Self-sustaining monstrosity?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 15 08:58:58 PDT 2009

The ubiquitous Niall Ferguson has an op-ed in the FT today, "Why a Lehman deal would not have saved us," which replies to Lawrence McDonald's "insider’s account of the fall of Lehman Brothers" (Lawrence G. McDonald and Patrick Robinson, "A Colossal Failure of Common Sense: The Inside Story of the Collapse of Lehman") -- <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f96f2134-a15b-11de-a88d-00144feabdc0.html>.

He concludes "If only we had learnt from Lehman that no bank should be 'too big to fail', we might still have a real capitalist system, instead of the state-guaranteed monstrosity that is the real legacy of last year’s crisis."

Meanwhile, the FT's Lex column says that, "Those who accept that the world is emerging from the financial crisis cannot also argue for radical change to institutions, regulations and practices that have delivered a recovery in fairly short order ... [But] there could well be another Lehman. For that not to happen therefore requires a strong, self-sustaining recovery. If we really are seeing the start of one, policymakers should not mess with it too much."