[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 15 10:12:25 PDT 2009

Miles Jackson wrote:

> Just to keep things in perspective: More people watch the Cartoon
> Network than Fox. In mass media terms, the Fox audience is a niche
> market.
>
> Miles

It seems to me that "The Right" (and especially a few inconsequntial windbags like those on Fox) contribute to the same political effect that the so-called "progressives" in the DP contribute to, stultifying the minds of potenial leftists by creating illusins of false danger and false hope. Hence so many leftists devote their energy to studying the entrails of birds (the latest news - i.e., what ever drama the ruling class is currently featuring) rather than focusing on thinking WITBD in a period when no actual achievements by "the left" are possible: i.e., thinking in terms of how, in such a period, we can contribute to whatever left emerges in some future period of potential action.

Carrol