[lbo-talk] War (was Conservatism)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 15 11:44:32 PDT 2009

Yeah well, you can find quotations supporting any belief in any time period given the large numbers of people around at any given time, just like if you're a Christian you can find stuff that prefigures Christianity in the Stoics or Plato if you so desire. I think it would be really really hard to argue that the premodern view of war and violence in general was not a lot different than our own. Not a whole lot of people nowadays go around praising war as an intrinsic good -- it is a very fringe belief. Neither do we go in for blood sports, public executions, dueling to settle disputes, or putting populations to the sword. I also don't think you can talk about the common people (a vague concept) in any era as having a single view.

It occurs to me that translating "polemos pater panton" as "war is father of all things" is kind of problematic. Classical Greek did not use word order except in the case of articles and prepositions, so it is unclear if war or father is the subject of sentence. It's also not clear which word "of all things" goes with. In addition, since no articles are employed, it is unclear if what is meant is war or father in general, a specific war or father, or some war or father. It's quite, well, delphic. ;)