[lbo-talk] Krugman @ EPI

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Sep 15 13:50:57 PDT 2009

They've been lovey-dovey for years, directly due to my own deft diplomacy. Devine was there at the rapprochement.

PK was somewhat radicalized by the response to his writings on income maldistribution, particularly from the WSJ. In the teeth of the Bushist reign, he decided there were more important things than EPI's so-called protectionism.

I speculate that this dovetails now with what from the outside seems to be a war that has broken out between the UChicago gang and what passes for Keynesian econ these days. The fallout from PK's recent article in the NY Sunday Times and DeLong's polemics on his blog on one side, and the babbling of people like Lucas, Prescott, and John Cochrane on the other typify the conflict. (N.B., EPI's Research Director, the very able John Irons, is an MIT "saltwater" grad.)