[lbo-talk] is BHO the antichrist? 8% of Garden Staters say yes

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 16 13:14:30 PDT 2009

<http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2009/09/extremism-in-new-jersey.html

Extremism in New Jersey

We've been uncovering a remarkable level of anger toward Barack Obama in a lot of our recent polling so for New Jersey we decided to go a step further in determining how extreme some people's feelings are about the President and asked respondents if they think he is the Anti- Christ.

8% said yes. 13% aren't sure. Among Republicans 14% said yes and 15% weren't sure.

Pretty eye popping numbers. The extent to which some people already hate Obama is amazing. We'll test that question nationally this weekend.

The extremism in New Jersey isn't limited to the right though. 19% of voters in the state, including 32% of Democrats, think that George W. Bush had prior knowledge of 9/11.

Beyond that 21% of respondents, including 33% of Republicans, express the belief that Obama was not born in the United States.

Combine the birthers and the truthers and you've got 37% of the electorate. And the 3% of voters who really need to get their heads checked are the ones who are both birthers and truthers.

These findings are in no way unique to New Jersey. In fact it's the least 'birther' of five states where we've looked at that question. But it's a reminder that high levels of extremism are in no way limited to the south.