[lbo-talk] Signs of the Times

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:26:13 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net>wrote:

> At 12:52 PM 9/16/2009, Chris Doss wrote:
>
> I mean, ARE there any Mormon or Baptist or JW or Evangelical intellectuals?
>>

> Cornel West, Martin Luther King, Jesse Jackson.... many more I would say.

In the US, white and black evangelicals have to be considered wholly separate categories. This is close enough to an official fact that reports of public opinion polls usually list them separately, a cleavage not offered to Catholics or whatever.

Are MLK and Jackson intellectuals? Being smart, educated, and influential is hardly sufficient, I think.