[lbo-talk] Signs of the Times

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 16 16:29:29 PDT 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:
> I was responding to the assumption that there are zero intellectuals
> among Baptists. I saw that Astra Taylor movie Examined Life earlier
> this year and it was kind of a jolt when Baptist Cornel West talked
> about his Christianity, but there it is.
>
> So is Gingrich an intellectual? He is an idea man isn't he? Stupid
> and abhorrent ideas but ideas none the less.

I agree.

Some of the posts on this question are trying to make "intellectual" a 'value' term - which is absurd. An intellectual is merely, as you say, someone who works with ideas, and the quality or the perspective of those ideas is irrelevant. Therre are probably in execess of a million or more intellectuals in the U.S.

Carrol