[lbo-talk] Signs of the Times

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 20:46:18 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> In the '60s here at ISU tgere was qyute a cikkectuib if raducak canoys
> nubusters, Ibe if tgen was a wgute /Baptist minister.

Huh?

> Any ideology may be  twisted to fit _any_ social view. Sooner or later
> there will be a Red Caucus in the JW.
>
> Carrol

Does "JW" refer to Jehovah's Witnesses? Well this red was raised a JW.

Some comments. JWs are very explicitly apolitical in that they do not believe their followers should participate in anyway in the politics of "this world". They are not part of the religious right. This includes a commitment to pacifism and a refusal of any type of voluntary or obligatory military service. However, participation in anti-war and peace movements is also frowned upon. So they are not like Quakers either.

JWs don't believe the rewards of salvation for most faithful are in heaven, but in a post-apocalypse paradise utopia, a new order, ruled by god. I always picked up on signals that this new order wouldn't be capitalist, but that was never made explicit.

Sheldon

-- http://left-wingwacko.blogspot.com/