[lbo-talk] something good to read

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 17:09:01 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 2:07 AM, ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com> wrote:
> An interesting article. Who is Mike Beggs. A Google search gave all sorts of people but none sound like the author of this article!

Yeah I'm not the Canadian music critic, nor the mercenary in Afghanistan, nor the St Louis chiropractor. Just a man with a dream! There's an 'about' page at the blog but all it says is that I'm a doctoral student at the University of Sydney and that's all there is to it really! The piece was written for a discussion newsletter for a nascent 'rethinking the left' group that started up here a few months ago. It's an ecumenical group from various backgrounds meeting once a month to discuss various topics on Australian society - I picked up social democracy, but we've also had 'the Australian working class and unions', 'new social movements', 'the crisis' and so on. A week before each meeting the newsletter comes out, and it's also a vehicle for ongoing back-and-forth responses to previous topics. No e-list discussion so it all happens in slow motion, at strict word limits, which has been interesting. Who knows what will come of it.

Cheers, Mike scandalum.wordpress.com