[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 21:33:01 PDT 2009

I'll never forget what Roseanne Barr said about the Mormons. She's Jewish and she grew up in Utah. In a New Yorker article she said that when she was growing up, she would wake up every day and pray "Please God, make me a Mormon or make me retarded!"

By the by. It might be interesting to check out Sir Richard Burton's book on the Mormons, "City of the Saints," which I actually found in the Oakland central public library...so there must be copies around. It was written in 1862 & Burton actually met Brigham Young.

To jog your memory: Burton is the guy who spoke 42 languages, was the first white man to make the pilgrimage to Mecca, discovered the source of the Nile, and translated the 1001 Nights....and the list goes on and on.

Might be interesting to see what he had to say about the Mormons.

http://etext.virginia.edu/railton/roughingit/map/morburton.html

Joanna