[lbo-talk] War (was Conservatism)

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 10:10:35 PDT 2009

James Heartfield

Heraclitus tells us that war-worship is close to the origins of dialectic (these arguments seem disturbingly convincing to me)

^^^^^ CB: There is much evidence of dialectic in pre-war /pre-state societies. Sex is dialectical: unity and struggle (wiggle) of opposites.

Make love; not war.

^^^^^^

:
"When Homer said that he wished war might disappear from the lives of gods and men, he forgot that without opposition all things would cease to exist.

"It must be clearly seen that war is the natural state of man - except for what things would we not have heard the word justice? - Justice is contention. Through contention all things come to be.

"War is the father of us all and our king. War discloses who is godlike and who is but a man, who is a slave and who is a free man. Opposites cooperate. The beautifulest harmonies come from opposition. All things repel each other. We know health by illness, good by evil, satisfaction by hunger, leisure by fatigue.

"Those killed by Ares are honoured by gods and men."