[lbo-talk] Saul Alinsky

Bob Morris bob.morris at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 11:34:08 PDT 2009

> ALINSKY: Conservative? That's a crock of crap. Right now they're nowhere.
>> But they can and will go either of two ways in the coming years -- to a
>> native American fascism or toward radical social change.
>>

> Well, no.

Dave Niewert at Crooks and Liars thinks the fascists are at the gates, if they haven't already taken over yet. But I agree, they haven't.

> Could you tell me what Alinsky and his spawn have actually accomplished?
>
> Back of the Yards created a model of community organizing that has been
widely adopted. Cesar Chavez was recruited by an East LA organization that Alinsky started. The Industrial Areas Foundation still trains organizers.

My real point though is that the Right seems to be doing most the organizing now (and having the most fun now) while the Left isn't doing much. How do we change that? Maybe Alinsky's rules could help.