[lbo-talk] the paradox of choice

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 18 14:42:33 PDT 2009

shag carpet bomb wrote: "this is a great video about why too many choices actually makes our lives less free or, at least, why too many choices means we ultimately fall back on the more restricting ways of making decisions that we were trying to get away from with more choice."

"The compulsion here lies not in the submission of the will to Providence (which is the condition of their freedom) but in the total freedom of choice itself, in the freedom inherent in the separation of action from result which compels the individual to choose freely the action which will embody her motive."

Carrol Cox, "Citizen Angels: Civil Society and the Abstract Individual in Paradies Lost," _Milton Studies_ 23 (1987) [Actually written around 1981-2]

Carrol