[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

RicardoStarkey at aol.com RicardoStarkey at aol.com
Sat Sep 19 15:16:16 PDT 2009

In a message dated 9/17/2009 6:31:39 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, jncatron at gmail.com writes:

"South Park ain't Chris, and vice versa, but have you seen this episode?"

_http://www.allsp.com/l.php?id=e108_ (http://www.allsp.com/l.php?id=e108)

Oh man, that I looks like a hoot! I haven't seen it yet, but I certainly will when I get a chance. Thanks for the link.

Take it from me, people, Mormons truly deserve all the mockery they get. Check out the _Book of Mormon_ some time. Most (all?) copies actually have dates at the bottom of the pages that supposedly indicate when the fantastic events on the particular page occurred. It is really amazing that there are educated people who believe that this book of fantasy was magically translated by some young farmer in New York state in the early 19th century, from gold plates, for which the evidence of their existence is nil.

Except for this Cleon Skousen freak, I don't know of any Mormon intellectuals. (I actually read one of his books about 30 years ago, after deciding that I was a Marxist. I was enthralled by his spittle-inflected anti-communist screed. I don't remember the name of it, but I still remember that I neatly printed "PROPAGANDIST DISTORTION" on the title page before returning it to the library.

Mormons definitely don't tend toward the intellectual, but by no means are they all dumb. I remember there being plenty of doctors, lawyers and engineers (particularly the last, my father being one) in my "ward" back when I still went to church, before I mercifully got a job requiring me to work on Sundays when I was 16. My parents worshipped the almighty lord of the heavens, but they worshipped the almighty dollar more, so they assented to my working on Sundays, and I never went back.