[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 08:53:40 PDT 2009

Well, there can be a minimalist aesthetic. Think Shaker furniture. And don't forget that part of the Protestant austerity was egalitarian. The absence of an altar literally puts minister and congregation on the same level. But, most importantly of all, you're omitting Protestantism's musical side. Luther wrote hymns. Bach was a Lutheran.

More generally, I don't get this big dispute over which theistic religion is less believable than another. Belief in a deity of any kind requires you to suspend the ordinary requirement of some kind of rational grounds for belief. To narrow it to Christianity, belief in the incarnation and the resurrection require similar suspensions of reason. Belief in the doctrine of the Trinity requires one not only to believe in the absence of evidence, but to believe something that is incoherent. To which Catholicism adds the transformation of wine and bread into the substance of the body and blood of Christ, the virgin birth of Jesus, and the immaculate conception of Mary.

Once you've accepted all that, the South Parkish digs at Mormonism become straining at gnats. The craziest things about Mormonism aren't the things that distinguish it from orthodox branches of Christianity.

They're the things Mormonism and orthodox Christianity have in common.

MM