[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Sep 20 14:47:04 PDT 2009

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 21:13:20 -0700 Left-Wing Wacko <leftwingwacko at gmail.com> writes:

> And I think it a little unfair to pick on Mormonism as any more
> nutty
> than Catholicism. Simply because of age?
>
> The PBS special series on the Mormon church was quite interesting.
> Dispelled some of my overgeneralizing stereotypes. And yes, they
> have
> intellectuals. JWs though do not.

Yes, the Mormons do have their intellectuals, but the church has had a tendency to squelch them, when the top church leadership saw them as getting too uppity, as happened in the case of the historian Leonard J. Arrington, whom I had mentioned before. One problem for Mormon intellectuals is that the church leadership doesn't seem to see a great need for having intellectuals around in the first place.

Jim F.

____________________________________________________________ Top Bathroom Remodelers Get up to 4 free bathroom remodel estimates today. No obligation! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=hVEvfoRWZOB2V_cP0noRawAAJ1DoEMrytxsVXKlEh0tvqeWlAAQAAAAFAAAAANq2FD8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEhgYAAAAAA==