[lbo-talk] Sarkozy proposes measuring 'happiness' and 'well-being' to replace the 'cult of the market'

Ira Glazer ira.glazer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 04:35:59 PDT 2009

> So then please help me unpack what your friends mean by Sarkozy's fascism.

It's mostly along the lines of what JC Helary wrote, with regard to immigration raids and the attempt to expel undocumented foreigners. My friends teach in a school whose students are almost all immigrants: North African, Sub-Saharan African, Chinese, South Asian. Also, contrary to all the propaganda about Sarkozy having been elected with the vote of young people who were 'fed up with the French economic model, and wanted a more Anglo-Saxon one', an analysis of the election results showed that the demographic that gave Sarkozy his victory were the elderly (especially in rural areas, if I remember correctly), precisely due to Sarkozy's emphasis on national identity and 'Frenchness'.