[lbo-talk] Left aiding right

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 08:42:06 PDT 2009

This may be one of those Poulantzian cases where the interests of Capital do not match the interests of capitalists. Insofar as employers are able to shift the cost of medical care onto workers, and the overhead costs of private insurance, inflation in medical costs, and the obscene prices charged by pharma make workers "choose" to forego care, the overall productivity of workers can be expected to decline, at least relative to that of workers in other capitalist countries with sane systems of medical care. Capitalists, unable to overcome the collective action problem needed to safeguard the interests of Capital, need the State to step in and act on Capital's behalf. (Think Marx on the Ten Hours Bill if Poulantzas isn't your cup of tea). But . . . the State evidently isn't up to the task, which is why this issue, even more than EFCA or bank regulation could provide us with our strongest lever.

MM