[lbo-talk] Juan on Ahmadinejad's Lunatic Anti-Semitism

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Sep 21 09:41:20 PDT 2009

[It looks like maybe we can close the debate on this point. He seems worse than worst exaggerations.]

http://www.juancole.com/2009/09/ahmadinejad-spews-raving-lunatic-anti.html

Saturday, September 19, 2009 Informed Comment

Ahmadinejad Spews Raving Lunatic Anti-Semitism on 'Jerusalem Day' Juan Cole

Note: Revised 9/21/09

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad gave a sermon on Friday for "Jerusalem

Day" that is full of the most vile crackpot anti-Semitism that can be

imagined.

Anti-Semitism as a form of bigotry typically ascribes the most abject

motives and character to Jews in general at the same time as they are

depicted as secretly controlling the world. The original version of

this posting did not post extended Open Source Center translation. Here

are a couple of paragraphs, below. But note that the the first two

sentences were not in the Persian text. The OSC translators listened to

the original radio broadcast, however, and so it is possible that

Ahmadinejad added things orally that were not in his prepared remarks.

I have compared the translation to the Persian text and have altered

some of my original readings.

'Before the First World War, certain noises were made in order to

organize an evil current to dominate the entire world. Using their

colonial experiences, they [the imperial European states] plotted to

dominate all nations and the world's material and intellectual

properties. After the First World War, they abused the ignorance of

the nations and Muslims of the region, and they put Palestine under

the trusteeship of the old colonialist, Britain. They provided an

opportunity for the organized criminal Zionists and the[se] rushed

into Palestine. Under the cover of buying farms, gardens, and lands,

they occupied a major part of the land by the use of weapons and

carrying out massacres and assassinations. By the help of the

British government and relying on her force, they displaced the

people.

Before the Second World War, the noises and activities were

intensified. In European countries, a complicated show started which

was called anti-Semitism. Of course, some governments and their

people have always abhorred the Jews because of indecent behavior by

some of the Jews and they were willing to evict the Jews out of

Europe. However, some European governments and statesmen and the

Zionist network did the main plot of anti-Semitism. They produced

hundreds of films. They wrote hundreds of books and circulated

rumors. They started a psychological war in order to make them (the

Jews) escape to Palestine.'

For him to suggest, as he does here, that anti-Semitism was justified

by Jewish "indecent behavior," is beyond despicable. He also appears to

blame Jews for the Nazi crimes against them, saying that the Zionists

spread around anti-Semitic books and films in Europe so as to make Jews

hated and so as to cause them to be expelled to Palestine. These

allegations go beyond simple anti-Zionism into a weird and creepy world

of anti-Semitic conspiracy theory.

Elsewhere he says, "My dear ones, the pretext used to establish the

Zionist regime was a lie and a corrupt act. It was a lie based on a

fabricated claim that cannot be proven. The occupation of the

Palestinian land had no connection with the issue of holocaust. The

claim, the pretext, [and the directors [dastandarkaran] and the patrons

[hamiyan]] are all fraudulent and corrupt. They are all historical

criminals. They are responsible for plundering and colonizing the world

for the past 500 years."

I read the Persian phrase, which the government translators dropped,

about dastandarkaran (masters, proprietors) and their protectors and

patrons (hamiyan) to be a reference to Zionists and imperialists. He

then says "all of them" (hamih-'i ishan) are responsible for colonizing

and plundering the world for the past half-millennium. I've gone back

and forth on this, since Ahmadinejad's speaking style is syntactically

sloppy and his referents are not always clear, but I am leaning to

thinking that he sees a Jewish/ imperial partnership as having

stretched into the distant past.

In other words, he is saying, all of modern history (possibly from the

Portuguese conquest of Goa) and certainly the British conquests during

WW I, the Nazi persecution of Jews, and last year's American

presidential race, has been the unfolding of a secret Jewish plot,

wherein "Zionists" control everything that happens.

You wonder why he holds out any hope of Palestinians prevailing in the

face of such a long-lived and all-powerful conspiracy! It is sort of

like The Highlander meets the Protocols of the Elders of Zion!

The US press coverage of the speech has focused on Ahmadinejad's denial

of the Holocaust, which seems more complete than before (he has in the

past said that the number of dead, 6 million, has been 'exaggerated').

He said this time, "Four or five years after the Second World War, all

of a sudden they claimed that during this war, the Holocaust had

occurred. They claimed that a few million Jews had been burned in the

crematorium furnaces. They institutionalized two slogans. One was the

innocence of the Jews. They used lies and very sophisticated propaganda

and psychological ploys and created the illusion that they (the Jews)

are innocent. The second goal was that they created the illusion that

the Jews needed an independent state and government. They were so

persuasive and convincing that many of the world's politicians and

intellectuals were deceived and persuaded." Elsewhere he called this

'pretext' a "lie" and a "myth" (afsaneh).

He then went on to repeat his bizarre claim that researchers are

prevented from researching the Holocaust. Surely no event in history

has been better documented by historians from primary sources.

I just felt a chill, and frankly then nausea, as I read this sewage.

I am not saying that Ahmadinejad is genocidal. He has killed many more

Muslims than Jews (I don't know that he has directly killed any Jews,

and Iran has 20,000). A campaign of vilication against me was kicked

off when I pointed out that Ahmadinejad had not in fact threatened to

wipe Israel off the map, but had just quoted Ayatollah Khomeini to the

effect that the 'Zionist regime over Jerusalem' must eventually 'vanish

from the page of time.' Since expressing a wish that a regime will

collapse is not a casus belli, hawks who wanted a war on Iran were

furious at me for revealing the truth. The usually reasonable New York

Times even did a hand-waving smoke and mirrors piece attempting to

deflect my argument without actually disproving it. And it remains the

case that Ahmadinejad is not the commander in chief of the armed forces

and cannot make troops march into war-- that prerogative is with

Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. Ahmadinejad could not even appoint a vice

president he wanted without Khamenei's permission (and when it was not

forthcoming, he had to dismiss him).

But the venomous rhetoric against Jews (it isn't just Zionists if it is

projected back 500 years) that he used in this speech is so hateful

that if it became widespread and ensconced in Iranian society, it

certainly would have bad and tragic results-- for Jews, Iranians and

for us human beings in general.

One of the dangers of the right-wing Zionists' tactic of smearing as

"anti-Semitic" all criticism of any Israeli policy is precisely that

they end up trivializing this deadly, soul-killing phenomenon, and by

crying wolf so often may actually decrease vigilance toward the real

thing. Saying that former Israeli prime minister Ehud Olmert is

corrupt, or that Israeli settlers in the West Bank are violating the

international law of occupation, is not anti-Semitism. Neither one is

doing any favors to Israel or to world Jewry, and it is odd that anyone

should defend them or see criticism of them as bigotry. But the bilge

that came out of Ahmadinejad's mouth on Friday, that is the real thing.

Luckily, most Iranians clearly were not taken in, and his opponents put

around pamphlets saying "No to Gaza and Lebanon, I will give my life

[only] for Iran!" In fact, by associating it with himself, Ahmadinejad

may single-handedly be sinking support for the Palestinian cause among

Iranians, since most of them despise him and everything he stands for.

Now excuse me while I go take a shower with lava soap. Ugh.

posted by Juan Cole @ 9/19/2009 12:55:00 AM