[lbo-talk] winners & losers in The Crisis

Sandwichman lumpoflabor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 10:26:07 PDT 2009

"Sadly true?" A house of mirrors. According to the American rabble-rousing right, Obama is a communist. Objectively speaking, Sarkozy and Merkel are to the "left" of Obama on economic growth (S) and employment policy (M). The terms "left" and "right" appear to have entirely different meanings as self-identity or projection. What exactly is the "left-wing, anti-capitalist and anti-globalization movements"? Right and left are images projected by financial sponsors. If a Rupert Murdoch doppelganger suddenly materialized with the notion of promoting a proletarian revolution, I'm sure the fat lady would change her tune.

Not that it would have anything to do with the real politics of getting up every morning and going to work.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> [What he says about the left is sadly true. Of course it's possible that the
> fat lady hasn't started singing yet.]

> Four: The right over the left. The credit crunch was probably the perfect
> moment for left-wing, anti-capitalist and anti-globalization movements to
> make their mark.
>
> The result? The left looks like it is running on empty tanks. Center-right
> parties will remain in power, as in Germany or France, or recapture it, as
> in Britain. And it will stay that way for a long time.

> (Matthew Lynn is a Bloomberg News columnist. The opinions expressed are his
> own.)

-- Sandwichman