[lbo-talk] Sarkozy proposes measuring 'happiness' and 'well-being' to replace the 'cult of the market'

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:11:12 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 1:43 PM, mart <media314159 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   i'm undecided on what it means for badiou to 'be an advocate of direct action'.  perhaps from the ivory tower and conference facility provide provocations for others?   i gues thats what the abolitionists did for slavery----up in those new england white churches talked it up, and then eventually you got J. Brown (godfather of soul) to do something---talking loud, saying nothing.<

Ha ha. Typical anti-academic (anti-intellectual?) slander. I think Badiou's philosophy is a dead-end, maybe even a trap, but he's also politically active and not just about provocating from lecture halls. And his appeal goes beyond white Euromales; he is, for instance, influential in Africa.

>    there's A philosophy which can unpack it---called pragmatism, and which is now being repackaged by tenured radicals so it can be sold again as new.  who knows, maybe the new packaging will have it take off. do the Marcusean 'capital as power', humans as corporthings, world as panopticon (i wonder if bentham ranks mention in 21st century policitcal economy, or maybe thats too upmaket) described withe matrix (the s-matrix of heisenberg, which essentially measures the entropy of the positive whole numbers, or negative if you take the p-adic version).<

Maybe you haven't noticed, but the world is not the same now as it was when pragmatism was first articulated over a century ago. It's a fine philosophy in its way, but things do change, and I appreciate thought that tries to change with it.