[lbo-talk] Economic determinism

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Sep 23 05:06:14 PDT 2009

================================== I'm not a libertarian. As you know, the Bernanke-Summers-Geithner program was criticized all along the political spectrum, with the liberal and social democratic left rejecting it for proposing too little rather than too much regulation and other forms of state intervention. An administration willing to confront the discredited Republicans and Wall Street could have closed down the insolvent banks and restructured the industry, not by inflating but by trimming the sails of GS and JPMC along the lines of Glass-Steagall. An even bolder administration could have used the bailout and stimulus money to launch a well-capitalized state bank(s) extending credit directly to homeowners, workers, and small businesses. The Chinese recovery is attributible in large part to state ownership and control of the financial sector and other key industries. Circumstances differ greatly in the two countries, of course, but the frustrated US left is still right to conclude that there was much the administration, building on its early support and deepening it, could have done well short of a revolution.