[lbo-talk] Ralph loves the nice plutocrats

Voyou voyou1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:33:24 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 14:41 -0500, Eric Beck wrote:
> Methinks the left is not nearly critical enough of democracy.

Jodi Dean has been writing some interesting stuff on the problems with left-wing valorizations of democracy at her blog[1], and in a recent article[2], "Politics Without Politics," she argues that the left-wing claim that our current political systems are not democracies "is childishly petulant. It's like the left is saying, 'if we don't get to play what we want, we're not going to play’. The failure of left politics to win, or even score, is equated with a failure of politics as such, rather than acknowledged in the specificity of left defeat."

[1] http://jdeanicite.typepad.com/ [2] In Parallax 52, here: http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a912898828 and liberated from the chains of academic copyright here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hmdldmyymul

--

"The slightly richer ... eat in semi-darkness, preferring

candles to electricity. These candles make me laugh. All the

electricity belongs to the bourgeoisie, yet they eat by

candle-end. They have an unconscious fear of their own

electricity. They are embarrassed, like the sorcerer who has

called up spirits he is unable to control."

-- Vladimir Mayakovsky http://blog.voyou.org/ voyou at voyou.org