[lbo-talk] Ralph loves the nice plutocrats

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Thu Sep 24 05:11:36 PDT 2009

Shane writes:

> On Sep 23, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:

>...We've lived in a world of capitalist states for
>> centuries. All
>> have been "plutocratic" instruments of class rule
>
> Absolutely not so. All of their ruling classes included a huge
> aristocratic, landowning element, whose monetary wealth beyond a certain
> limited level was as irrelevant to their social power as a Roman
> Senator's.

The aristocratic element you refer to was that wing of the landed ruling class - the so-called "improving landlords" - who were tied to the commercial bourgeoisie and who helped it and in many cases, provided leadership for the revolutionary replacement of the old absolutist monarchies and feudal social order with capitalist property relations and representative political institutions. Despite their cultured affectations, these old landed families were in practice as interested in the accumulation of assets, profits and dividends as their vulgar merchant and manufacturing allies were interested in the accumulation of titles.