[lbo-talk] Comrades and friends....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 24 16:14:53 PDT 2009

In case you hadn't seen it yet, this site is a gas, gas, gas:

http://www.sovlit.com/

It includes this little speculative fictional gem:

"Mess-Mend - Yankees in Petrograd" by Marietta Shaginian

written in 1923 under the pseudonym of "Jim Dollar" (a supposed American) the author was a Russian woman of Armenian ancestry.

Mess-Mend is story very much in the tradition of dime novels and pulp magazines. Full of Soviet propaganda, it became quite popular nonetheless. Its success is reflected in the fact that two sequels were written and a film adaptation was made (1926's "Miss Mend" a.k.a. "The Adventures of 3 Reporters"). The film itself was held in high enough regard to be released as voiced-over production in the 50s, and subtitled in Italian and French more recently. It's a super-long 3-part 4-hour-plus movie.

There are more characters in the book than you can keep track of. Many of them appear in the storyline, disappear, reappear disguised and drop out again seemingly at random. It's more of a thriller than a science fiction tale per se. But the s.f. elements are present:

- Fabionite: which "…could put an entire army to sleep if you direct the light rays on it." - References to the "Steinach treatment" - which itself was a springboard for many films dealing with the then fad of "rejuvenation". - Transmitters which we are told are able to "… repell any army with the help of but a single electrician from our Petrograd Central Aero-Electrical station". - A device described by a Russian engineer as the "Savali regulator which has been adapted to our own invention of an electro-climate"

These last two inventions above sure seem to reveal that our comrades were way advanced over the decadent West!!! But wait there's more….!!! The mother of all SPOILERS is about to be revealed…..

- it seems that a disease called "vertebra media sine bestialia" has been discovered in certain disposed monarchs and great businessmen caused by "a powerful, apparently unbearably powerful feeling of terror in the nervous system; a feeling of terror in the face of the inevitability of communism!". Thus we discover the biggest enemies of the workers literally mutate into living animal-like creatures.

The film which is still only available un-translated..there are some major plot variations. For instance, "Mess Mend" in the novel is an organization dedicated to "mending the mess" of capitalism. "Miss Mend", the film variation, centers around a young lady called Vivian Mend.

more: http://www.sovlit.com/messmend/

http://www.sovlit.com/bios/shaginyan.html

Hi-ho, Mike B) *********************************************************************** If all the people who make a living by selling their skills to employers were to stop working, no wealth would be produced. Labour theory of value anyone? http://wobblytimes.blogspot.com/

__________________________________________________________________________________ Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more: http://au.overview.mail.yahoo.com/