[lbo-talk] Ralph loves the nice plutocrats

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 04:56:10 PDT 2009

Matthias: Are you using "democracy" here in the sense that you personally defined it upthread, or in the sense that most people use it?

[WS:] So what exactly is that sense, and how do you know that most people use it? Most people where, in the US, EU, worldwide? Please do tell.

PS. Lijphart (one of the source I quoted) comes up with a good operational definition of democracy - but that definition is not exactly what "most people" use. In fact he argues that the US concept of democracy is very much different from that in Europe. I may add that "most people" in the US use the term "democracy" in the same way they use "god" - something that evokes good feelings and is on "our side" but otherwise devoid of any specific meaning.

Wojtek

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Matthias Wasser <matthias.wasser at gmail.com