[lbo-talk] Ralph loves the nice plutocrats

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 06:18:45 PDT 2009

Matthias: If it's the latter (i.e. Liphardt's "most people" definition) all you're saying is that people tend to fare better under efficient and consistent administrators than incompetent and corrupt ones, which while not precisely a tautology does seem rather trivial.

[WS:] All I am saying is that it depends on historical circumstances and that it is outcomes not how these governments come to power that counts. For example, the government of Portugal that came to power in 1974 was a result of a military coup, but it instituted policies that moved the country toward democracy than the elected chatterbox on the Potomac ever did. Bhutan is a constitutional monarchy, but arguably more democratic than the elected government of, say, Indonesia.

The key to understanding my argument, which somehow many on this list have problems getting, is the concept of a "strong state" meaning state administration capable of resisting and overcoming pressures from special interest groups (particularly the wealthy) in acting for public benefit (i.e. policies that benefit society as a whole rather than specific pressure groups or even individuals.) It is totally independent from the repressive capacities of the state - but how it uses them, under what circumstances, and against whom makes all the difference. Benito Juarez's government repression directed against the arch-reactionary Catholic church in Mexico was "authoritarian" but also had a democratizing effect. Ditto for the Kuomintang government "repressing" the landed oligarchy of Taiwan, not to mention Castro government "repressing" Cuban oligarchs cum US mafiosi.

Again, it is the specific circumstance that matters, not the general properties. The devil in the details, as they say in the vernacular.

Wojtek